Shahi Nawabi Biriyani is an authentic and delicious Biriyani recipe from Mughal cuisine. The slight variation of Biriyani also made in Hyderabadi cuisine. This Shahi Nawabi Biryani recipe will give you an immense pleasure of cooking to your family and friends. Shahi Biriyani is enriched with more flavors.
Ingredients for Shahi Nawabi Biryani:
- ½ kg – Basmati Rice (semi-cooked)
- 1 kg – Boneless Meat (chopped into square pieces)
- 500 – gms Curd
- 4-6 – tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 4-6 – Green Chili
- 8-10 – Big Onions (sliced)
- ¼ cup – Lime Juice
- ½ tsp – Red Chili Powder
- ½ – A pinch of Caraway Seeds (Shahi jeera)
- 5-6 twigs – Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 5-6 twigs – Mint Leaves (chopped)
- 2-4 pinch – Saffron, pods cardamom and Cinnamon
- 2-3 drops – Saffron Color
- 1-2 pods – Clove
- 2 cup – Oil
- 2 tsp – Ghee
- Salt (to taste)
Method of making Nawabi Biryani:
- Smear the pieces of meat with ginger-garlic paste and keep them to marinate for about an hour.
- In the meanwhile, fry the sliced onions in a heated pan until light brown. Let the onions cool down and then crush them.
- Now add crushed fried onion (only three-fourth), curd, red chili powder, cinnamon, green chili paste, cardamom, shahi jeera, coriander leaves, clove, saffron water, mint leaves and salt to the marinated meat. Leave the meat as it is for another 1 hour
- Make the mixture of aromatic water by adding salt (one tsp), cinnamon, clove, cardamom, mint leaves and coriander leaves in a little water. Now spread half of the semi-cooked rice in a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Add saffron color, lime juice, ghee and the remaining onions over the rice. Spread a layer of marinated meat over this, and again spread the remaining semi-cooked rice.
- Now add the aromatic water in a circular motion over the rice. Now tightly cover the vessel with a lid. Keep it on a low flame.
Remove the vessel from the flame exactly after 15 minutes.
- Your Shahi Nawabi Biriyani is ready to serve.
- Garnish with Coriander and mint leaves and serve hot.
I made this shahi Nawabi Biriyani last month, the aroma of the Biriyani spread all over my street. Then, my neighbors started asking for their share. End of the day, I got nothing to eat. So if you want to eat some Biriyani make sure you close your doors and windows. haha
Biriyani goes very well with all type of vegetable raitas, kormas and dhalcha.