Ragda Patties, a hearty and full meal recipe from Mumbai is a favourite across India. Interesting to pronounce but easy to make, this recipe is a combination of its two aspects Ragda – a dried white peas curry and Patties – a fried potato cutlet.
It can be eaten in a variety of ways, like, by making Ragda Samosa, replacing the cultlet with Samosa and Ragda Pav, replacing the cutlet with a Pav.
So, Let’s get on with this one.
For The Ragda Filling
1 cup safed matar (dried white peas)
2 boiled potatoes, cut into small pieces
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp grated jaggery (gur)
1 tbsp tamarind (imli), soaked
salt to taste
For The Tempering (for The Ragda)
1/4 tsp mustard ( rai / sarson)
6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
Little asafoetida powder (hing)
2 tbsp oil
For The Patties
1 kg potatoes
2 tbsp cornflour
1 cup chopped mint leaves (phudina) leaves
1/4 cup chopped coriander (dhania)
1/2 tbsp ginger (adrak)
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
Oil for deep-frying
1 cup of green chutney
1/2 cup of fresh garlic chutney
1/2 cup of khajur imli ki chutney
1 cup sev
1 cup onions , chopped
For the Ragda
- The dried peas need to be soaked for atleast 12 hours.
- Remove the water and add approximately 3 to 4 cups of fresh water and pressure cook the peas. Let it get cooked soft.
- Heat the oil, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Keep stirring till the mustard seeds crackle.
- Add the other ingredients of ragda in a container. Add water if required. The peas need to be mashed slightly so that the paste gets thicker.
- Cook in sim for 10 minutes.
For the patties
- Boil, peel and grate the potatoes.
- Add the cornflour and salt and knead to a soft dough.
- Divide into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll out each portion into a medium size circle. Place a portion of the ground filling mixture on each circle.
- Bring together the edges in the centre to seal the filling inside the potato.
- Press lightly on top to make a patty.
- Repeat to make the remaining 11 patties.
- Shallow fry on a non-stick pan till the patties are golden brown and crisp.
For Khajur imli ki chutney
- Wash 2 cup dates and 1/4th cup tamarind and place in a saucepan.
- Add 1 cup jaggery, 1 tsp chilli powder, a pinch of asafoetida and 4 cups of water to it and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and puree the mixture and strain it through a fine sieve.
- Use as required.
For Green chutney
- Combine 2 cups of chopped mint, 1 cup of chopped coriander, 1 sliced large onion, juice of 2 lemons, 1 tbsp sugar, 5 green chillies and salt as per taste, in a blender.
- Grind the mixture to a smooth paste using as little water as you can.
- Use as directed.
For Fresh Garlic chutney
- Combine 1 cup garlic cloves, 1 tbsp chilli powder, juice of a lemon and salt along with 1/4th cup of water in a blender and grind toa fine paste.
- Dilute with a little water and use as required.
How to proceed
- For serving, place 2 patties and pour the ragda over.
- Top with all the chutneys. Sprinkle the sev and onions on top.
- Serve immediately.
Ragda Patties is something every one needs to taste. Once tasted, you will sure become a fan!