“The mountains are calling and I must go.”― John Muir
Manali is a beautiful hill station located in the lap of Himalayas, flanked by river Beas and Pine forest with breathtaking view.
According to mythology Manali is named after sage Manu. The word Manali is regarded as the changed name of “Manu-Alaya” which literally means “The abode of Manu”.
It is traveler’s paradise and Honeymooner’s Indian version of Switzerland. Manali offers a welcome respite and tranquility from the heat and honking of the cities.
Getting To Manali Himachal Pradesh
Manali is 580 kilometers (360.4 miles) north of Delhi and 350 kms (217.5 miles) from Chandigarh.
- Bhuntar, which is located 50 km from Manali and 10km from kullu is the closest airport to Manali.
- The Bhuntar airport is well connected by Air India flights to Delhi.
- There are taxi services available between Bhuntar and Manali.
- There is no railway station in Manali.
- Nearest railway station would be Chandigarh Railway Station which is 350 kms from Manali.
- Traveling to Manali by road is one of the easiest ways to reach the beautiful destination.
- The drive is picturesque with well maintained roads through out.
- In way to Manali you can take halts at Baddi , Mandi , Kullu which are known towns of Himachal pradesh.
- Taxi from Chandigarh can be booked online. The charges are reasonable.
- Volvo buses also operates from Delhi and Chandigarh. Its cheap yet very comfortable way to reach Manali.
TIPS :- Make clear before hiring the taxi that who will pay driver’s expenses and state taxes.
Best Time To Visit
- March to October is best time to visit Manali. Though Chances of snowfall are higher in later part of the year.
- For skiing Dec and Jan are best month.
- The Hadimba Temple Festival, which takes place in May each year, provides an interesting glimpse of local culture.
- Also you can witness famous Dusshera Celebration of Kullu in October.
- Cotton and light woolens are needed from June to Sept. Heavy woolens are needed for rest of the year.
TIPS :- If you are travelling with kids , make sure to carry heavy woolen (not to forget socks and caps).
Top 6 Places to Visit in Manali Himachal Pradesh
The ancient Hidimba temple, soaked in absolute peace and serenity, is a must visit for its history and simple architecture.
- You can take an 3 wheeler to reach here. Price of autos are fixed.
- Timings :- 8:00Am to 6:00Pm
- Entry fees :- None
2. Van Vihar
Its excellent and humongous reserve park along the river Beas . Best place to have walk around endless stretch greenery . Climate & Long Trees of Devdar creates magical atmosphere.
- Its located on the Mall road of Manali Himachal Pradesh.
- You can enjoy boating , adventure activities like river crossing etc.
- Timings :- 8:00Am to 7:00Pm
- Entry fees :- Rs. 10 pax
3. Naggar Castle
Naggar Castle is located in lovely village of Naggar set admist green mountains. The Naggar Castle is a stone and wood structure built by Raja Sidh Singh over 500 years ago.It has been converted in to a heritage hotel.Many a bollywood movies have been shot here.
- Naggar is located 22 kms(approx) from Manali.
- You can hire a taxi for half day to cover Naggar village , Rodriguez Museum , Gauri Shankar Temple of Shiva etc.
- Timings :- 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Entry fees :- Rs. 15 pax
Rohtang Pass is entry point to Pangi , Lahul-Spiti Valley and Leh. Its highest motorable road connecting Leh Ladhakh from Delhi. Rohtang Valley is covered with snow through out the year. The scenic beauty on the way is breathtaking.
- Rohtang Pass is 55kms from Manali. Only HP registered vehicles can travel up the pass. You have to hire a half day taxi from Manali which costs around 1.8k – 2k (fixed rate).
- You have to rent winter over-suit as well as its very chilly over there. It costs you around Rs. 200 per pax. There are various stalls on way for these suits.
- Rohtang Pass is open from May to Oct only.
- Taxi can be booked from various shops on Mall road. It is advised to book Taxi one day prior of traveling.You should start early in the morning so as to get to the top early otherwise roadblocks and jams would delay your journey.
- If you suffer from chronic respiratory diseases like asthma or have a heart condition, you should avoid going .
5. Solang Valley
If you are adventure enthusiast then Solang Valley is the place. From zorbing to paragliding and various ATB rides , you can enjoy umpteen activities. There is a rope way uphill from where the scenic beauty is hypnotic
- Its 14 kms from Manali and can be covered on the same day as Rohtang pass.
- You can ask same taxi to take you to Solang Valley for some extra money.
- Timing :- 10 A.M. to 6 P.M
- Zorbing – 300 per apx , Paragliding – 1200 per pax , Ropeway – 500 per pax.
6. Manikaran Sahib Gurudwara And Kasol
Manikaran Sahib is located in small town of Manikran which is famous for its hot water springs. Manikaran is sacred for both Hindus and Sikhs and is thronged by devotees all year long. Its 3km from Kasol. kasol is a small town located by the beautiful Parvati river.
- Manikaran is 33 kms from Kullu. You need half day extra to visit Maniukaran Sahib from Kullu.
- The road to manikaran is not in very good condition. It is advised to take an experienced driver.
- For an entirely enchanting experience stay in The Himalayan Village Resort <www.thehimalayanvillage.in> . The Resort is well located in tranquil ambience .Its little expensive but worth a shot.
TIPS :- Rafting is must do while heading back home . There are various Rafting stalls in way to Chandigarh from Manali.
There are lots of eateries and cuisine type available in Manali Himachal Pradesh. When here , Spoil your taste buds with some local and some international cuisines.
- Tibetan food is must try when in Manali.
- There are various famous cafes worth trying. some are Lazy Dog Lounge, Johnson’s Cafe , La Plage , Dylan’s Toasted and Roasted , People etc
- Don’t Miss “Rohtang-Pass-Wali-Maggie” and Corn in the chilly cold of Rohtang.
- Germany Bakery on Mall Road offers some great carrot cake, banana chocolate cake, cookies, brownies, croissants and homemade cheddar and yak cheese! And you can even buy some to carry home.
There is quite a range of Hotels and Resorts to choose from. One can choose accommodation suiting his or her pockets.
- In luxury category The Himalayan , The Royal Park Resort and Span Resort are best.
- The Slimog garden is best in budget accommodation,price starting from just Rs. 850.
- Honeymoon Inn Manali , Snowpeak Retreat , Rock Manali Hotel ,Quality Inn River Country Resort, and Spa etc are many other options.
- We stayed in Banon Resort which costed us around 20k for 3 days ( Peak season price). The property is vast and maintained.Owners are quite hospitable family.
TIPS :- Make sure your hotel is near Mall Road as Mall road is hub point.Also the farther you go from Mall road ,the climb becomes up hill and parking is in scarcity.
Have a wonderful and safe Journey! Bonjour!