Rajasthani flavors are traditional and remarkable in origin. The food of Rajasthan is best known for its authenticity and aromatic delight that is grounded with the roots of tradition and variability. One such sterling and the soul-satisfying Churma recipe right from the roots of Rajasthan is “THE GULAB CHURMA RECIPE”. The flavors of the recipe are royal and rich which are widely loved in the Rajasthani culture.
The Gulab Churma has the fragrance of rose and desi ghee combined with sweetness, which is best for any time serving. It is basically served as a dessert after the typical Rajasthani meals. It is simple in preparation and mesmerizing in taste. The looks of this dish are also tempting and invite the onlooker to taste them.
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Rava (semolina) – 1/4 cup
- Besan – 1 spoon
- Luke warm water – as required (approximately 1/2 cup)
- Ghee – 3 cups (for frying) + 2 tablespoon (for adding in flour mix) + 1/2 Cup (for binding the Laddu) totally about 4 cups
- Castor sugar– 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 3 pinch
- Chopped almonds, pistachios, cashews and raisins – 2 tablespoon
- Rose petals (dried and crushed) – 1 tablespoon
- Gulab ark (rose essence) – 5-6 drops
- Pink food color– 2-3 drops
Preparation of Gulab Churma
- Take 1 cup of the wheat flour, add 1/4 cup semolina /Durum Rava (you can use any Rava, but better to use Durum rave to get an authentic taste), and lastly add 1 spoon besan to the same. Mix them well. Durum rava is used specifically for this Gulab Churma. While other types of semolina can also be used, Durum rava gives the best output.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ghee to this mixture and mix well till the dry mixture starts binding together into the crumbled form. You can test this by holding the mixture in your palm and check if it binds into a shape. If it takes the shape and does not break, it means sufficient ghee has been added. If not add a little more ghee and repeat the procedure.
- To this mixture and add some lukewarm water. You will need about half a cup of lukewarm water to knead the dough out of the mixture.
- Make sure the dough is not soft or watery. You will need to have a firm dough to make Pindi for Churma. Now make some short streamlined shape dumplings out this dough.
- Add ghee to a thick bottomed pan for frying the dumplings. Make sure to keep the flame at medium and let the ghee be hot enough to fry.
- After heating the ghee add dumplings to the ghee and fry them until crispy and light brown in color.
- Keep the dumplings out and immediately grind it coarsely into the crumbled texture. Grinding can be done either by hand or you can use a mixer for this. Make sure that dumplings do not cool down because you have to coarsely grind lest it is hot.
- Now sieve the powder once to remove any lumps left.
- Now add 1/4 cup of melted ghee to the mixture of crumbled dumpling powder and add sugar, roasted dry fruits, Gulab ark (rose essence), dried and crushed rose petals, cardamom powder, and some 2-3 drops of pink food color.
- Mix them all together and bind them into small laddu as per the size you wish. Garnish with some dry fruits and rose petals on top.
- The Gulab Churma is ready to relish.
You can store this Rajasthani Gulab Churma in an airtight container for 10-13 days without need for refrigerating.
This Churma recipe is from the traditional kitchen of Rajasthan presented for you. This Rajasthani Churma recipe is easy to cook and fits all occasions. It serves as a dessert and is good to carry while traveling.
great way to explore Indian culture and taste of Indian food . I like the most delicious Gulab churma the wonderful rajsthani recipe lovely.