BHEL PURI RECIPE
Another stand out performer in our journey of exploring the street foods of India, the chaats. Bhel puri is a simple yet hearty dish to make and eat and it is sold in every street, every corner of Mumbai, and in fact the whole country now.
A combination of crunchy puffed rice (Kurmura, commonly known), chopped vegetables, masalas, and tangy chutneys, Bhelpuri has a taste for all. Now, let’s see the simplest Bhel Puri recipe.
So let’s just make Bhel Puri in an easy way in our home.
- 4 cups puffed rice (Kurmura)
- 1 cup sev
- 20 papdis
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup boiled and chopped potatoes
- 2 tsp fresh garlic chutney
- 8 tbsp Khajur Imli ki chutney
- 4 tbsp green chutney
- 1 tsp Kala Namak
- juice of lemon
- salt to taste
- 8 papdis, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped raw mango (optional)
- 4 tbsp sev
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
For Khajur Imli ki chutney
- Wash 2 cup dates and 1/4th cup tamarind and place in a saucepan.
- Add 1 cup jaggery, 1 tsp chili powder, a pinch of asafoetida and 4 cups of water to it and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and puree the mixture and strain it through a fine sieve.
- Use as required.
For Green chutney
- Combine 2 cups of chopped mint, 1 cup of chopped coriander, 1 sliced large onion, juice of 2 lemons, 1 tbsp sugar, 5 green chilies and salt as per taste, in a blender.
- Grind the mixture to a smooth paste using as little water as you can.
- Use as directed.
For Fresh Garlic chutney
- Combine 1 cup garlic cloves, 1 tbsp chili powder, juice of a lemon and salt along with 1/4 cup of water in a blender and grind to a fine paste.
- Dilute with a little water and use as required.
For the Bhel Puri
- Combine all the ingredients along with the three chutneys in a large bowl and toss gently till all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Divide into equal portions and garnish each portion with the crushed papdis, raw mango, sev, and coriander.
- Serve immediately.
This Bhel Puri recipe is simple, easy to make, yet tasty snack for an evening chat.