One of the most popular Indian street foods originated from Maharashtra. Pav Bhaaji consists of Pav – buns and Bhaaji – a spicy mixture of vegetables cooked in butter.
When you talk about street food it has to be right up there at the top among the most popular. It is one of the most popular breakfast item in Maharashtra for the one in a hurry.
So, let’s not waste time talking about it anymore. Just start making it.
For Chilli-garlic Paste
5 to 6 whole dry kashmiri red chilies, deseeded
8 to 10 clove garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
3/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped capsicum
1 1/2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 tbsp pav bhaaji masala
2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
1/2 cup boiled and lightly mashed green peas
1 1/2 cups boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
8 tsp butter for cooking
1 cup finely chopped onions
4 lemon wedges
4 tsp butter
4 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
Let’s Start preparing pav bhaaji
For chilli-garlic paste
- Soak the red chilies in enough warm water for at least an hour.
- Drain the chilies, add the garlic and blend in a mixer till smooth, adding little water. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chilli-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the capsicum and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, mash well using a potato masher.
- Add the salt, pav bhaaji masala, chilli powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas, potatoes, mix well and cook along with 1/3 cup of water for 1 to 2 minutes, while mashing it with the help of a masher.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Slit 2 pavs vertically and keep aside.
- Heat a large tava, add 2 tsp of butter and slit open the pavs and place on it.
- Cook on a medium flame till they turn light brown and crisp on both the sides. (add more butter if required).
How to serve
- Place the piping hot bhaaji topped with the chopped onions and lemon wedges, along with the pavs.
- Top the bhaaji with 1 tsp of butter and serve immediately garnished with coriander.