Sagu, a South Indian food, is a side dish that goes very well with Paratha, Dosa, and Poori. This side dish is easy to prepare and when prepared at home you can customize it and make it perfect to your taste. It is not very spicy and contains a lot of vegetables, making it a healthy mix-vegetable dish. It will be soft and hence good for kids and elderly people. You can use the vegetables of your choice and make it using only your favorite vegetables.
Sagu Masala Dosa is popular in south Indian Restaurants. Only a few eateries serve Dosa with sagu and people throng those places to get this tasty bite. Sagu Masala Dosa with Coconut Chutney is a deadly combination and as good as Masala Dosa.
Here goes the Sagu Recipe in simple steps to make a tasty and healthy.
- Vegetables – Beans, Carrot, Cauliflower, Potato, Peas, Sweet Potato,
- Moong Dal – ½ Cup
- Grated Coconut – 4 spoons
- Fried Gram – 1 spoon
- Onion – 1 medium-sized
- Green Chilies – 2
- Jeera – 1 small spoon
- Khas-Khas – 1 small spoon
- Ginger – ½
- Turmeric – 1 small spoon
- Salt to taste
To get a different taste, you can add 1 spoon of coriander. Some people like to add garlic to this which can be added while grinding masala.
Method of Cooking
- Wash the vegetables and cut them into small cubes.
- Pressure cook moong dal and vegetables to 1 whistle. (Vegetables should not get cooked too soft)
- Grind coconut, fried gram, onion, green chilies, jeera, khas-khas and ginger to a smooth paste in a mixer.
- Add this ground masala to boiled vegetables, add salt and boil for 2 minutes.
Garnish the sagu with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Expert tips for preparing
- You can make Sagu without moong dal also, but I prefer to add little dal as it gives taste and it will be a homogeneous mixture.
- Pudina can be added to make masala to get a different taste.
- Sagu should not be very spicy for two reasons. One it will be good for health second you can eat more quantity, which means you will eat more vegetables.
- There is no oil involved in this making which is the best plus point of this dish.