Rava idli is a famous South Indian Breakfast. It is a combination of the goodness of Idli and taste of Upma which is healthy and filling. Here I am giving the best recipe and easy steps to prepare Rava Idli in simple steps so that even a novice can cook to perfect taste.
Ingredients for Rava Idli
- Medium sized (Local Soji) Soji – 1 Cup
- Curd – 1 ½ Cup
- Carrot, Grated – ½ Cup
- Coconut grated – ½ Cup
- Green Chili – 2
- Coriander leaves – finely chopped
- Curry leaves
- A small piece of Ginger – finely chopped or grated
- Salt to taste
- Cashew – Fried – To taste (Optional)
- Fry Soji in low flame, when it is half done, add little oil and continue till it turns golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Add 3 spoons oil to a frying pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter, now add green chilies cut into small pieces.
- When it is done, add roasted rava, curry leaves and continue for a one more minutes in low flame.
- Add Coriander leaves, grated carrot, grated coconut, grated ginger, Salt to taste and finally add curds. Mix well.
- Now add roasted rava to this, stir well, with this Rava Idli batter is ready to be cooked.
- Put the batter in Idli plates which are coated with oil, steam cook.
Hot Rawa Idli is ready to be served. Rava idli can be served with Chutney, Alu Sabzi or Mixed Vegetable Saagu. There are many instant rava idli mixes available in the market, but nothing like homemade ones, which is not at all difficult, especially when you follow this Rava Idli Recipe.
It is healthy, filling and easily digestible and hence recommended to people of all ages.
The best part of this breakfast is you can make a lot of variations in this to get different tastes.
- Add different vegetables like peas, onion or any other vegetable of your choice. Vegetables should be half boiled before adding.
- To get a different taste, vary the chutney served with it.
- Using different quality of Rava will change the taste.
- Color can be changed by using different vegetables. Coriander leaves give green color, grated carrot gives orange color, beetroot gives maroon color and so on. Kids will like these different color idlis.