Dalma is a famous traditional, vegetarian recipe prepared in Odisha. Whatever is the occasion Dalma is must in an Odia kitchen. It is a very simple and healthy recipe providing almost all the nutrients required for a balanced meal. It is among the 56 food items (Mahaprasad) offered to Lord Jagannath in the temple of puri. It is an ideal recipe for puja festivals as there is no use of onion and garlic.
Dalma is generally relished with rice or paratha. On special occasions, ghee rice or jeera rice is served with Dalam. Though generally, Dalma recipe includes onion and garlic, here it is given excluding these two to help those who do not like onion and garlic. Also while serving this in temples, onion and garlic are not added.
Serving- 4 persons
Preparation time- 15min
Cooking time- 30min
Course – side-dish
Cooking level- medium
Ingredients for Dalma:-
- Arhar dal – 75gm
- Chana dal- 75gm
- Vegetables cut into medium pieces-
- Potato- 2 cups
- Brinjal- 3/4cup
- Raw banana- 3/4cup
- Pumpkin- 1cup
- Papaya- 3/4cup
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Ginger paste- 2tsp
- Grated Coconut- ½ cup
- Pancha-phoran (Mustard, Fennel, Cumin, Fenugreek) seed-2tsp
- Dry Red Chillies- 5
- Cumin – 3tsp
- Ginger paste
- Salt- as per taste
- Ghee or Oil
Method of cooking Dalma:-
- Soak the dals for at least 30mins before cooking.
- Take 3tsp cumin seeds and 2 red chilies and roast it in a dry pan. Grind it into a fine powder.
- In a large pan take about 6 cups of water and boil it. Add the dals to it. Also add ginger paste, turmeric powder, grated coconut and salt to taste. Cover the dal and boil until it is half cooked.
- Then add the pieces of vegetables to the dal and cover the pan until the vegetables are tender.
- In another pan, take 2tsp oil and add the pancha-phoran. Allow the seeds to crackle, then add the remaining 2 red chilies.
- Finally, add the boiled dal and vegetable mixture to it slowly. Cover and cook for 5mins and then sprinkle the cumin and red chili powder over it.
- Garnish with grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves, and oil fried red chilies.
Try this irresistible, delicious Dalma recipe with basmati rice or parantha.