Thala curry (fish head cooked in coconut milk)
This Kerala special curry should be savored preferably in a toddy shop. Made from special ingredients such as dried Kokum and coconut milk, this curry tastes spicy and yummy.
Ingredients for Thala curry:
- King fish head (boiled in salt, turmeric powder, and tamarind water) – 1/ as per size
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Dried red chilly – 7-9 nos.
- Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
- Shallot paste – 1 cup
- Tomato – ½ cup
- Green chilly – 5-6 nod.
- Dried kokum – 8-9 pieces
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Chilli powder – 3- 4 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 4-5 tbsp
- Pepper powder – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind water – ¼ cup
- Fenugreek seed powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Oil, salt, curry leaves – as required
Preparation for thala curry:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds.
- Once it sputters add dried red chilly, garlic, ginger and shallot paste and sauté.
- Now add green chilies, curry leaves and dried kokum and sauté again for a couple of minutes.
- Salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and coriander powder are then added and the mixture is allowed to heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the masala mix is heated, add tamarind water and allow it to boil.
- Now add pepper powder and fenugreek powder.
- At the next step, add coconut milk and the fish head into this spicy masala.
- Before covering it to cook add the chopped tomato and garam masala powder.
- Once the head is cooked remove the pan from the heat and garnish with coconut oil and curry leaves.
This recipe will get you the exact taste. However, it is advised to taste it in the toddy shop when you visit Kerala to make the most of your trip.
(Visited 324 times, 1 visits today)