Karimeen Pollichathu (Pearl spot cooked in Banana leaf)
Karimeen Pollichathu is a traditional curry served in Kerala Toddy Shops. The dish gets special recognition for the way it is cooked. Banana leaves are used to prepare this which gives it a special aroma and taste. Kerala tour is not complete without tasting this yummy dish. Here I am giving the recipe to cook it at your place in the simplest form!
Ingredients for Karimeen Pollichathu:
- Cleaned and half boiled Karimeen – 4 nos.
- Chilly powder – 3tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Lemon – 1 ½
- Pepper powder – 2 tbsp
- Salt – as required
- Green banana leaf – 4nos
- Coconut oil – as required
- Brush salt, chilly powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and lemon juice paste on the half cooked Karimeen.
- Heat a hard bottom pan and brush it with coconut oil.
- Brush the banana leaves with the oil as well.
- Cover the Karimeen in the banana leaves and securely tie it with a thread.
- Now put this wrapped Karimeen on to the pan and cover it.
- Allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
- Now turn it so that the other side is cooked as well.
- Keep turning it for another couple of minutes till you get the mouthwatering smell of the roasted Karimeen.
- You can now take out the leaf covered fish and serve it with rice or “kappa” (tapioca).
This dish is best when tasted hot in the toddy shop. They serve fresh from the oven which adds extra taste to the dish.