Njandu Roast (Crab roast)
Crab roast can be found in all places, but not like the one you get in Kerala. They use coconut milk which may be the reason behind its yummy taste. The coconut oil used gives it a special flavor and taste, which is specific to Kerala. I was all in love with this dish the moment I tasted it. I am giving the recipe to prepare the dish as close to what I tasted in Kerala. But tasting the original in a toddy shop is worth a try.
Ingredients for Njandu Roast:
- Crab cut into medium size pieces and boiled in turmeric powder, salt and tamarind water – 1 kg
- Onion – 1 cup sliced
- Ginger – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Green chilies – 6-7 nos.
- Shallots – 1 cup chopped
- Coconut pieces – ½ cup thinly sliced
- Tomato – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Chilly powder – 2 tbsp
- Water – ¼ cup
- Pepper powder – 2 tbsp
- Garam masala – ¼ tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Fried ground paste of coriander, chilly and coconut flakes – 1 tbsp
- Oil, salt, curry leaves – as required
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onion and salt and sauté it for 5 mins.
- Then add ginger, garlic, green chilies, and shallots.
- Once it is half cooked add coconut pieces, curry leaves, and tomato and sauté it till it is completely cooked.
- Now add turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilly powder and roast the mixture.
- Add water to this masala.
- Now the crab and ground paste is added to the prepared mix.
- Pepper powder, garam masala and coconut milk are added.
- Now allow the crab to cool in the coconut milk.
- Once the crab is cooked switch off the flame and garnish with coconut oil and curry leaves.
How about planning a trip to Kerala just to taste this awesome dish? I swear it is worth!