Spicy chicken curry is a derivative of Indian chicken curry recipe which is very famous for more than a century. I was bored of making the same chicken curry. That’s why I tried something differently. It is really awesome. So don’t give a second thought, Try this hot and spicy chicken curry.
Ingredients for spicy chicken curry
1 kg Chicken cut into small pieces
1/2 cup curd
1/4 lemon juice
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
1/2 tsp Red Chili powder
1 tbsp of khasakhasa (khus khus) soaked milk and make paste
2 finely chopped onions
1 cardamom, 1/2 cinnamon and 5 cloves finely ground (Garam Masala Powder)
1 Star anise (chakra ful)
¾ cup coconut milk
Coriander leaves around
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
Paste of Green chilies 3 Ginger, 1 1/2″ piece Garlic and 6 cloves
Method of making spicy chicken curry :
- For about 15 mins marinate the chicken in curd, coriander, cumin and turmeric powder, lemon juice and half of the ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste.
- In a pan mix the star anise, cinnamon stick (dalchini) and chopped onions in oil and stir for 5 mints.
- Add up the other ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste and let i cook for 4 mints.
- Sprinkle the red chili powder on it.
- On high heat mix the marinated chicken with it and stir occasionally
- Lower the flame, add salt and khasa khasa paste and bring it to a fine mixture.
- Add the paste to the chicken and cook for 10 mints.
- Cook till oil separates. Add 1 1/2 cups water and mix. Bring to a boil, reduce flame and cook for 13-14 minutes.
- In the end add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Pour the coconut milk and cook for 4 mints.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Ready to Serve.
TIPS by chef :
In this Indian chicken recipe, chicken cooks faster because we add lemon juice and curd as tenderizer. So this spicy chicken curry recipe takes less time than normal chicken curry. It goes very well with Indian breads. And you can accompany with rice, Pulao and dosa too.