Golpapdi / Gurpapdi is popularly known as Sukhdi also. Whole wheat flour sauteed in plenty of ghee, mixed with grated jaggery and garnished with plenty of nuts. This wheat flour based Gujarati sweet is easier to prepare than any of the other traditional sweets made in Gujarat. This 3 step recipe is trouble-free to prepare, and you can even make it often as an evening snack as it tends to have less ghee when compared with other Gujarati sweets. As this recipe is made from whole wheat flour it gives a lot of energy.
Preparation Time : 6-10 minutes
Serves : 4
Ingredients for preparing Golpapdi:
Jaggery ( gur) grated 2 cups
Ghee 1 1/2 cups
Cashewnuts chopped 10
Almonds slivered 10
Green cardamom powder 1/2 teaspoon
Method for preparing Golpapdi:
- Melt the ghee in a kadhai / heavy bottom non-stick pan and add wheat flour. Roast on medium heat till it gives out a nice aroma, stirring continuously. Add cardamom powder and remove from heat.
- Mix well. Add the grated jaggery and mix well till well blended, and is of a smooth texture. Transfer the mixture onto a greased tray. Garnish with chopped cashewnuts and almond slivers ( see Image I).
- Once garnished, cut these into pieces of desired size and shape while still warm. Allow it to cool completely before transferring on to a serving tray or an airtight container.
Chefs Tips from Master Kitchen
- Remove the pieces from the greased tray only when set.
- Also do remember to grate the jaggery thinly to avoid lumps. You can add 1 tbsp of milk along with the jaggery only if the mixture becomes too hard.
- In the winters, you can also add edible gum ( gaund) to this recipe.