Palak paneer is a blend of spinach and cheese with oodles of ghee into it. It is a delectable delight for lunch and dinner and eaten with pleasure by everyone. Palak or spinach has a host of vitamins like vitamin A,K,C and has a variety of minerals in it. Paneer or cheese as you all know has high protein and the combo of palak paneer makes for a sumptuous nutritious dish. Produced in winters and found on every green grocer’s cart, it protects from the winter blues that accompany the winter season.So we must eat a good portion of spinach in winters to keep those aches and pains at bay.
Spinach is fondly eaten by Punjabis but it’s fame has reached far and wide so much so that even the south Indians have drifted from somber sambar to this rich Punjabi charm.The taste, flavor and smell of spinach paneer is so strong that it increases your appetite and is irresistible. Palak paneer is prepared with a host of whole spices and cream which gives it a crunchy taste and makes it easier for mothers to make their children eat. Since children want something appealing for meals and palak paneer is so gratifying that children’s cravings disappear at the very first bite.
Palak paneer is famous in foreign countries too specially in the community of Punjabis in Canada and Australia. When Indian People gather for small parties or jagran and palak paneer is first on their menu list. Although palak paneer abroad is the same as in India but the taste is a little different from what it is in India. From my experience the real culprit is the oil used in preparation of the dish and also the warmth which is an important ingredient in making Indian food is somewhat missing. Nevertheless, this Indian dinner recipe is eaten in almost all parts of the world and that is what makes us proud.
Here is the way of preparing this age old Indian dinner recipe
- 250 grams of spinach leaves
- 4 cups of water for blanching spinach
- 4 cups of ice cold water
- 6 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- ¾ inch of ginger (roughly chopped)
- 1 green chilly (finely chopped)
- 5 tomatoes (grated)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Hing – 1 pinch
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp oil
Method of making palak paneer
- Take a pan and boil water with some salt in it and add spinach leaves into it and simmer till tender.
- Take out the spinach leaves and put them into ice cold water.
- Take out the spinach leaves and blend them in a mixer and keep the spinach puree aside.
- Now take a kadai and heat oil in it.
- Then add cumin seeds, Green Chilly, hing, ginger, garlic, Chili Powder, Garam Masala and saute for a minute. Then add tomatoes into it till the mixture leaves oil.
- Now add spinach puree into the mixture and let it simmer for a while.
- Add cream and 10-12 paneer cubes to the dish and the palatable palak paneer is ready to serve.
Spicy, tasty Palak Paneer can be served with Rotis, Pulav and rice.
So, all you out there, go through the procedure and get your hands into the making of this therapeutic dish with utmost love and affection and see the miracle taking place!