Menasina Saaru or black pepper rasam is one of the simplest forms of rasam which can be made in 10 minutes, yet serves many purposes. It is good to drink or eat with rice. It has many health benefits. It is good when you have a cold, sore throat and is soothing on your stomach. It is very light yet tastes superb especially on cold days. It is good for old people, especially for dinner as they cannot digest heavy food. Here I am explaining how to prepare pepper rasam in 10 minutes!
Ingredients required for black pepper Rasam
- Urad dal 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper – 10-12 grains
- Dry Coconut grated – 1 tablespoon
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Milk – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 spoon
- Karipatta – cut into small pieces
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery to taste (1/2 spoon)
Here is how to make Menasina Saaru with the above ingredients
- Fry urad dal, black pepper, and asafetida with ghee in low flame. Fry till urad dal turns orange.
- Switch off the stove and add grated coconut.
- Dry grind this mixture and then add water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Add this to one cup of water and boil in low flame.
- Add salt, jaggery, and Kari Patta and bring it to boil. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes under low flame.
- Add milk to this after switching off the stove.
This Menasina Saaru is a good appetizer and also provides relief from the cold when you drink it hot. It is also good with rice for those who have cold and fever as this is very light and easily digestible. Make rice extra soft to relish with this rasam and enjoy rice, pepper rasam with a spoon of pure ghee. It is awesome, I promise!
Health Benefits of Menasina Saaru
- Pepper is good for cold, Itchy throat and mild fever.
- Drinking this hot gives relief from heavy head and improves digestion.
The preparation time is 10 minutes and serves 2-3 persons. You can also store the dry ground powder and use it when required. But freshly made one is always better for health and also for taste buds.