The goodness of bread and Upma is combined here giving it a special taste. Bread and Upma lovers can relish this dish to satiate their taste buds.
Bread Upma is totally different from other Upmas because here bread cubes are used which will be crispy and soft at the same time. Here I am giving South Indian Bread Upma Recipe as I belong to this region.
Ingredients for Bread Upma
- Bread – 4 to 5 slices made into small cubes
- Green Chilies – 1-2
- Onion, medium size 1 finely chopped
- Coriander – finely chopped
- Kari Patta – A few
- Oil – 4 Table Spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 small spoon
- Jeera – 1 small spoon
- Salt to taste
The recipe in a few simple steps
You can prepare bread Upma in just 5 to 10 minutes. This is best suited when you are hungry and don’t have the patience to cook an elaborate dish.
- Make small cubes from the bread and keep it aside
- Put a thick bottomed pan on the stove and put oil.
- Add mustard seeds, when it splutters add green chilies, onion, turmeric, grated ginger, jeera, and karipatta.
- Let the onion become soft. Now add salt and add bread cubes. Keep stirring for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Upma is ready. Garnish with coriander and serve it hot with coconut chutney or sauce.
- You can also use coconut, baked peas to garnish.
- Lemon juice is optional, I prefer without lemon juice as this makes bread pieces soft.
- You can make it healthier by adding more vegetables of your choice.
- This is a good fit for a quick preparation when you are too hungry to wait.