Eggs are the part of healthy breakfast for the family in every part of the world. Eggs are as nutritious as they are delicious, making them one of the most common household food item. In India, eggs are used mostly in curries or to make omelets and scrambled eggs, but the use of egg for making sweet dessert is limited to Cakes and Bakery.
Halwa is one of the most popular sweet desserts in India, There are lots of variants to what can be used for making Halwa, Gajar ka Halwa, Suji Ka Halwa, Lauki ka Halwa, you may have heard or eaten all of them if you belong to a typical Indian family. Usually, these delicacies are prepared during festive seasons or when we decide to have a visit to your grandparents. While Halwa is a very common dessert for us Indians, there is a variant which most of the people don’t usually hear about or have the pleasure to taste, that is “Ande Ka Halwa”. Who doesn’t like to have a bowl of Kheer-sorma during Id festival?
A Different Way to Use an Age-old Companion, Eggs
Every family have some recipe which is being passed through generations and finally with changes made through time, your grandma decided to pass it to your mother and in due time you will get to know it too, it could be a similar case with our today’s recipe, passing through the family, some noble family member decided to finally share the recipe with the world, So now we have a new way to have eggs, A recipe to make Egg Halwa.
Egg Halwa Recipe
Ingredients for egg halwa
- 500 ml of Milk
- 200 gms of Khoa or Milk Powder
- 6 Eggs
- 250 gms of Sugar (That won’t be enough for a sweet tooth)
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom (Crushed)
- ½ Cup Ghee (or Butter)
- Almonds, Cashew, Raisins
Instructions for preparing Ande ka halwa
There are 2 little variations to this dish with some small changes
1. Break the eggs and keep in a bowl.
2. Add milk and sugar, stir until sugar dissolves completely.
3. Heat Ghee/Butter in a pan on low flame, when the pan is heated, pour the egg mixture into the pan.
4. Cook on low flame till it starts to solidify. This will take about 5-10 minutes.
5. After about 10 more minutes the eggs are properly cooked, keep stirring the pan slowly.
6. A very sweet aroma of ghee and eggs will spread, add chopped cashews, almonds and raisins.
7. Switch off the gas before it gets too thick.
8. Serve hot
The basic process remains the same with just a few changes. The ingredients for this version of the dish will remain the same.
1. After mixing the Milk, Eggs and Milk Powder, heat it till it starts to get thick.
2. Switch off the gas and keep stirring.
3. Transfer the mixture to a non-stick pan and cook on low heat for about 45 min- an hour.
4. Keep stirring continuously until the mixture starts to leave the pan.
5. Form a ball of the mixture.
6. Transfer the whole mix to a greased dish and flatten it by applying pressure on the top (Use a spoon or other small flat bottom dishes)
7. Cut the hardened mixture into desired shapes.
8. Allow it to cool and garnish with chopped almonds, cashew, and raisins.
A simple Egg dessert, one which can be served hot or stored for later.