Indian food is influenced by religious and cultural choices and traditions.
Bathua raita is a well-known recipe among North Indians. Though Bathua is a weed, it is widely used as a green leafy vegetable. It contains iron, Vitamin ‘A’ and a good amount of minerals. Bathua adds deliciousness to food and it also helps in digestion of food as well. Bathua Raita is a special dish of the winter season. It keeps our body warm. Some other delicacies that can be cooked using Bathua are kadhi, Bathua puri, sabji, saag, raita, and bhurji. Today we will prepare Bathua Raita.
Details for bathua Raita:
Veg/ Non-veg: Veg
Boiling time: 7-8 minutes
Preparation time: 3-4 minutes
Serves: 2 people
Level of cooking: Easy
Ingredients for Bathua Raita:
- 100 gm Bathua leaves
- 200gm curd (Yogurt)
- A paste of green Chili, ginger, and garlic (3 tablespoons)
- Salt (per taste)
- Roasted cumin powder (two small teaspoons)
- Fresh coriander leaves
Procedure for preparing Bathua Raita:
- Remove the leaves from the stalk of Bathua plant. Wash the leaves 2-3 times with water.
- Add ¼ cup of water to leaves and boil the leaves (It will take maximum 7-8 minutes in pressure cooker). Allow it to cool.
- Squeeze out all the excess water with hands and smash it.
- Mix it in curd with a hand mixer (mathani).
- Add cumin powder, chili paste, coriander leaves (garnish) and salt according to your taste.
Bathua raita is ready. Serve it as a side dish with roti, paratha, naan, rice and anything you please.
Do not do this:
1. Do not mix the curd if boiled leaves are still hot. Let them cool properly.
2. Do not add more water while boiling because leaves have a large amount of water in itself.
- Do not throw the excess water, it can be used in doughing. It will add more nutritious contents to your food plus it will give a new taste and definitely good one.
- Use the excess water as a soup. Add black salt and lemon juice to it.
- Fried chili paste can also be used, it will add a good fragrance to raita.
- If it is kept in the refrigerator, it can be used up to two days.
- Bathua leaves can also be used along with spinach and mustard leaves to enhance their flavor.
- If there is a shortage of time use grinder to smash the leaves and mix the curd and then add the rest ingredients.
Try Bathua raita with bajra roti and makhan. I am sure you will love it.
Enjoy your meal!