Sol Kadhi is a traditional Konkan drink used as a digestive and a natural coolant in the summers. Sol Kadhi can be had as a drink as well as a curry.
So, let’s go through the recipe of Sol Kadhi.
Ingredients for sol kadhi
Kokum, dried 12-15 nos
Coconut Milk, 2 cups
Mustard seeds, 1 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chillies, 2-3 nos
Asafoetida, 1/2 tsp
Garlic, 3-4 cloves
Ginger, 1 tsp
Cumin, 1 tsp
Curry leaves, 3-4 leaves
Sugar, 1 tsp
Salt, to taste
Green chillies, 2-3 nos, ground to a fine paste
Ghee, 1 tbsp, for tempering
Coriander Chopped, for garnishing
Method for preparing sol kadhi
- Soak the Kokum in hot water for an hour. Squeeze, strain and extract the juice out of the soaked kokum in a bowl.
- Add the coconut milk to the kokum extract along with the salt, sugar and the green chillies paste and mix well.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and add the mustard seeds to the ghee, as soon as the seeds crackle add the curry leaves, kashmiri red chillies and cumin to the ghee. Now add the ginger, garlic to the tempering along with the asafoetida in the last. Temper the spices till they leave their aroma.
- Add the tempered spices to the coconut milk and kokum mixture stirring nicely to avoid any chances of curdling.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Your Sol Kadhi is ready.
Words of Wisdom
- You can use the ready made as well as the home made coconut milk, by grinding grated coconut in a blender with a little water and straining the same. Repeat the same process for with the extracted grated coconut to extract the thinner coconut milk and use both.
(Visited 470 times, 1 visits today)