Many of us get confused with Mushroom if it is vegetarian or non-vegetarian. I affirm mushrooms are plants and perfect veggies. These autumn harvests are rich in protein and vitamins and it is really good to include them in your diet.
Add mushrooms in your menu by cooking yummy mushroom recipes like Mushroom Pepper Fry or Mushroom Achar or Palav to pep up your menu chart and health boost!Author
That apart, mushroom has many other benefits like:
- Mushrooms are generally with zero fat and zero cholesterol food.
- It is good for heart health
- Good for bone development
- Helps fight against cancer cells
- Helps in increasing the immune system
- Helps in maintaining blood pressure levels
- Mushroom contains glutathione acts as anti-aging which means you are going to stay young longer!
- Helps prevent osteoporosis and joint pain.
- It also helps in reducing bad fat and maintenance of good cholesterol in our body
“Eating mushrooms twice a week helps in a supportive immune system and also helps in preventing damage to cells and tissues.“
Tips for Picking the Right Mushroom
Mushrooms are natural fungi. There are about 4 to 5 varieties of edible mushrooms in India. Mushrooms are generally collected in bud form because once it blooms tiny worms will attack and make it as its host.
Mushrooms called White Mushrooms or Oyster mushrooms are sold in the market. Check the color of the mushroom while purchasing. Make sure that mushrooms are white. Greyish colored or the one with brown spots should be avoided. These are not good healthwise and taste-wise.
With so much said about the benefits, it is time to give some wonderful mushroom recipes to relish. Here I am giving 5 mushroom recipes which are easy to cook, tasty and healthy too.
Let us start with Pickles or Mushroom Achar
Pickling is the process of storing food materials by adding salt and citrus acid for a long duration of vegetables. It is fermented brine of any vegetable like lemon, mango, carrot, bitter gourd, cucumber, etc.
Pickle is the most opted side dish of every Indian Thali. It adds Zing to the food and not just that it has many benefits also.
- Helps in staying hydrated
- Consists of anti-oxidant
- Prevent mouth ulcers
- Supplies probiotics or gut-friendly bacteria
- Improves digestion
- Removes toxins and harmful bacteria.
- It has anti-aging property i.e. provides benefits to the skin
- Helps in reducing the risk of Parkinson disease
- Pickles soothes muscles crumps
- contains high calcium for teeth and stronger bones
Now, how about combining the benefits of Mushrooms and pickles? Yes, you are right. We will make Mushroom pickles that imbibe all the above benefits and is one of the most opted mushroom recipes.
1. Mushroom pickles or Mushroom Achar
Mushroom pickles are tangy, spicy, and healthy. They can be stored and used for long. It is one of the best mushroom recipes which can serve as a side dish for breakfast and lunch.
- Mushrooms – 2 packs
- Chilli powder – 3 spoon
- Oil – 5 to 6 tablespoon
- Tamarind – lime size
- Salt as per taste
Procedure of Making Mushroom Pickles
- Take 5 to 6 tablespoons of oil in a pan, heat it for 20-30 seconds and then add chili powder (Note: do not exceed more than 30 sec it leads burnt smell and can not be stored for longer duration)
- Now add chopped mushrooms
- Fry until mushrooms releases all the water
- Add Tamarind solution and salt.
- Keep stirring until the added oil separates out.
Mushroom pickle is ready to relish. You can enjoy it as a side dish or with hot rice and ghee. This is one of the most opted mushroom recipes.
2. Mushroom Pepper Fry – Healthy Snack
Pepper is a versatile spice which is also crowned as “King of Spices”
Consuming pepper has many benefits. It is an antioxidant, it has cancer-fighting property, improves brain function, consists of vitamin A, E & K, helps in treating asthma, colds, respiratory infection, and also helps in detoxification.
Now let us make spicy Mushroom Pepper fry and help ourselves get all the benefits of Pepper and Mushroom at one go!
Ingredients for Mushroom Pepper Fry
- Mushroom – 1 pack
- Powdered pepper – 2 spoon
- Onion – 2 – Finely chopped
- Lemon juice -1 spoon
- Maida – 1 cup
- Curry leaf – 1 stick
- Capsicum cut into small pieces – 1
- Salt as per taste
Procedure of Making Mushroom Pepper Fry
- Take maida in a mixing bowl, add salt then add water in small quantities while stirring. Ensure no lumps are formed and the batter is smooth and of thick consistency.
- Dip the mushrooms in the batter and fry in hot oil
- The hot crispy fried mushrooms are kept aside
- Now add 1 tablespoon of oil to a pan add curry leaves and onions and fry till onion turns golden brown. Now add capsicum and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add fried mushrooms, pepper powder and stir for 2 minutes. Add lemon juice finally.
Now the spicy, crispy mushrooms pepper fry is ready to serve. This is one of the best mushroom recipes for an evening snack and can be relished with sauce or chutney of your choice.
3. Mushroom Palav – Most Popular of all Mushroom Recipes
Palau is an all-time favorite dish in India. This dish is slightly different from biryani but it tastes as good as biryani.
A fine green paste made with garam masala, herbs, onions, etc. This is topped with mushrooms to get an authentic mushroom Palau.
- Basmati rice – 2 Cups
- Mushroom – 1 Pack
- Clove – 4
- Cinnamon – 3 inch
- Cardamom – 2
- Bay leaf – 2
- Chilli – 3
- Tamato – 2
- Onion – 2
- Pudina – 1cup
- Coriander leaf – 1cup
- Ginger – 1inch
- garlic – 1
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- ghee – 2 spoon
- Water – 4 cups
- Curd – 2 table spoon
- Salt as per taste
- In a mixer-jar add cinnamon, cardamon, chili, onions, coriander leaf, ginger, garlic, Pudina, and make a fine paste.
- In a cooker add ghee and oil and heat it.
- To the hot oil add bay leaf and fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add the masala paste prepared and fry till the husky greeny smell goes off.
- Add chopped mushrooms to this and fry for 5 minutes in low flame
- Add chopped Tomato
- Add Basumati rice and 4 cups of water [Basumati rice should be soaked for 2 hours]
- Add salt as per taste, close the cooker and wait for 2 whistles.
- Once the cooker is cool, open the lid and set it aside for 10 minutes.
This is the easiest and best of all Mushroom recipes. Mushroom Palau is ready to relish. Make some nice Raita to complement this yummy Palau and enjoy it hot with your family!
4. Mushroom Bonda – Crispy, Spicy snack
Ingredients for Mushroom Bonda
- Urad dal – 1 cup (soaked for 1hr)
- Mushrooms -1 pack – Cut into small pieces
- Green Chilli – 4
- Potatoes – 1 (weight about 100gm)
- Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder -1 teaspoon
- Salt as per taste
- Soak Urad Dal for one hour and Grind it along with salt to taste, to make a thick fine paste (paste as per Idli batter consistency)
- In a mixing bowl add mushroom, boiled potatoes, Finely chopped green chili, Red chili powder, coriander powder, salt, and mix well.
- Make small balls of this dough.
- Dip these balls in Urad dal batter and deep fry in oil.
- Fry on medium flame till it turns to golden color.
Yummy, crispy, Mushroom bonda is ready to serve as an evening snack. Enjoy this Mushroom recipe with sauce or chutney.
Mushroom Idli For Health Freaks
Idli is one of the most favourite and famous breakfasts in South India. It is a soft and healthy cake. It is not spicy, very simple to make with minimum ingredients cooked by steaming, making it the healthiest food.
Benefit of steamed food
Steamed food has many benefits like they retain vitamins and minerals. They are fat-free, as the oil used is very minimal, only for greasing the plates. Steamed foods also retain nutritional value, retains moisture and flavor. It is easy and quick to cook them.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 3/4 cup
- Fenugreek – 1 tea spoon
- Mushroom – 1pack
- Onion – 2
- Coriander – 1/2 cup
- Water for blending Salt as per taste
Procedure for making Mushroom Idli
- Soak rice and urad dal for 1 hour
- Drain the water from soaked rice and urad dal
- Add drained urad dal, rice, half a cup of water, fenugreek, and salt to a mixer jar. Make a fine blend. The consistency should be that of Idli batter.
- Set aside the batter for fermentation overnight or for a minimum of 5 hours
- In a mixing bowl add chopped onions, chopped mushrooms, coriander leaf, and a pinch of salt and mix it well to make the Masala.
- Add idli batter to the greased idli making plates and spread the masala mixture over the batter evenly.
- Steam cook for 15 min
- Turn off the stove and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Remove the Idli from the mold with a wet spoon
- now delicious idli is ready to serve with chutney and sambar.
Soft and spicy Mushroom Idli is ready to relish. Serve it hot with ghee, chutney, and sambhar to make a yummy and healthy breakfast.
Mushroom is my favorite vegetable. This made me experiment in my kitchen to bring out these mushroom recipes. Please do share if you have any other Mushroom Recipes which I would love to try.